Oil and Gas
Oil and gas facilities are among the high-risk industries and, if not operated correctly, can pose serious risks of explosion and fire. Explosion risks in these facilities can be listed as follows:
Explosion risks in these facilities can be listed as follows:
- Gas Leaks: Gas leaks are one of the most serious explosion risks. These leaks can occur due to cracks in the gas pipe or valves, faults or leaks at the outlet point. These leaks condense in the air, increasing the risk of explosion.
- High Pressure: High pressure systems are used in oil and gas facilities. A malfunction in these systems may cause pressure loss and increase the risk of explosion. Loss of pressure can cause uncontrolled release of gas.
- Flammable Materials: Most materials used in oil and gas facilities are flammable. Improper storage, use or handling of these materials may increase the risks of explosion and fire. For example, during the filling, transfer and storage of fuel, situations such as the leakage of flammable materials or the occurrence of undesirable reactions may pose risks.
- Electricity-Related Problems: Many electrical devices are used in oil and gas facilities. These devices may malfunction and cause explosions. These may include pumps and fans, compressors, generators, heaters and other electrical equipment.
- Natural Disasters: Oil and gas facilities are vulnerable to natural disasters. Disasters such as earthquakes, storms, floods and fires can increase the risk of explosion of facilities. Therefore, it is important to be prepared for disasters and develop emergency plans.
- To minimize all these risks, strict safety protocols must be implemented in oil and gas facilities. ATEX certified products should be preferred where deemed appropriate in the facilities. In addition, regular inspection of facilities and maintenance work also reduces explosion risks.
ATEX certified equipment ensures safe operation in explosive environments used in the oil and gas industry. These equipment include various equipment such as pumps, compressors, lighting and electrical appliances.